The BeST Burgers (you'll ever have)!
What's going on with "BeST?" Just a tasty acronym for you. BeST stands for:
|R-E-S-P-E-C-T the Be-S-T.|
Which means when you have a BeST Burger, you're having that amalgamation of deliciousness you read above. Well, what are you waiting for? Make yourself the BeST Burger and enjoy it!
WARNING (well, not really): This recipe is really fun and so tasty. Get ready to get messy! Unlike cooking with raw meat or eggs, you can taste your pre-burger mash anytime you'd like. You'll need two bowls for mixing ingredients (one large/medium, one small), a pot for boiling sweet potatoes (and colander), and a pan with oil for frying, or an oven (w/baking sheet) or grill.
Steve's Homemade BeST Burgers
(Initially made their debut in Farm Sanctuary's Just Eats Tour Vegan Recipe Contest as a finalist - and runner-up recipe. Now you can win first place by enjoying them KMIV-style!)
- 2-3 small Sweet potatoes
- dash of almond milk
- *1 Tbsp agave nectar*
- heavy sprinkling of cinnamon
- 1 can black beans (or Bean of choice! - Garbanzos are yummy)
- 1 packet Tempeh
- 3-4 Tbsp ketchup
- 3-4 tsp garlic
- *1 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce*
- *1 tsp balsamic vinegar*
- *sprinkling of salt*
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- *dashes of hot sauce to your own spice preference*
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup quick/rolled oats
|Introducing the Cast of the World Premiere of "BeST Burgers!"|
- Boil the sweet potatoes until soft enough to put a fork through. While they are boiling, soak the beans in water, rinse, and toss them into a medium/large bowl. Mash beans and then crumble the tempeh into the bowl with them.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, mash in small bowl. Add almond milk, *agave, and cinnamon. Thoroughly combine sweet potato mixture with beans and tempeh in larger bowl. Add all remaining ingredients except oats, mixing well. Finally, add oats, about 1/3 cup at a time, mixing until a slightly firmer texture is reached.
- If you like, cover the bowl and refrigerate mix OR form into patties on baking sheet, cover, and pop in the fridge for 30 min to an hour (recommended). Make small/medium balls and flatten them out into patties w/your hands or using a spatula.
- Add oil to a pan and cook the burgers over medium-high heat, keeping an eye on the bottom for your desired browning/blackness. Flip and cook on opposite side. You can also bake them at 400°F in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or to your desired browning/crispiness, flipping halfway through; you can lightly dust the sheet with flour if you want to prevent sticking. (Outdoors? Try throwing them on the grill! Make sure you form some firm patties!)
- Add some avocado, grilled onions or mushrooms on top for a little extra pizzazz! Makes 6-8 BST Burgers for your taste buds, stomach, and overall enjoyment.
|Pre-BeST Bake/Cook - Throw em' in the fridge to get firm|
|How do you like your BeST Burger? Pan-fried? Or Baked?|
|The BeST Bon Appetit You'll Have!|