Reasons to Smile.


1. Last week marking 100 posts on this blog! I'll be planning do something special for this milestone in the coming weeks - in the meantime, I'll just smile happily about it!

2. Ending our weekly tradition of "24" and pizza night with a bang - toppings included Gardein tenders, Field Roast sausage, asparagus, roma tomatoes, sweet potato, mushrooms, and loads of Daiya. So many kinds of yum!

3. Learning about the delicious new vegan ice cream parlor that just opened up in Los Angeles (our future dwelling place come September!), which is appropriately called KindKreme.  Check out this cute pic of the founders below:

The ladies behind KindKremeTM. From left to right, Shelley, Mollie, and Mimi.
(Photograph by Andy Schlachtenhaufen, taken from KindKreme's website.)

4. From my friends at ecorazzi.com:
 
"Two years ago, we switched to a plant-based diet out of concern for animals and the environment. Many children stop eating meat for the same reasons. Adding vegetarian options in schools would not only benefit these children — it would provide healthier options for all young people."

 This is an excerpt from a letter written to Congressman George Miller by Ellen DeGeneres (possibly one of my favorite vegan ladies on the planet!) and her lovely wife Portia de Rossi in support of the Healthy Schools Meal Act. To learn more about the Healthy School Meals Act and to see the entire letter, click here.


4. Finishing Ninety-Five, an extraordinary new book by publishing company No Voices Unheard. I loved this book so much that I will be featuring it and No Voices Unheard co-founder Marilee Geyer in a jam-packed review/interview/giveaway post very soon. Stay tuned!

5. Farm Sanctuary's brand-new "Vegans: Saving the World One Bite at a Time" tee. Awesome.

Love Farm Sanctuary as much as this blogger does? Then check out a great article by Gene Baur for online magazine Tonic urging Ohio residents to vote to raise standards for farm animals in their state. To check out the ballot initiative and for more info, please visit: www.ohiohumane.com.

6. Another reason to smile - and eat Daiya! - PETA's new "Host a Daiya Pizza Party" contest. The deadline for submissions is June 1st, so get those submissions in now!






 7. Betty the Hen - Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary's newest rescue. (photo courtesy of WFAS website)







8. My interview this week with Kate Wolff of Evolve Accessories - and her adorable three-year old son Shane!

9. Our Hen House's amazing podcast series - check out the latest one here

You may remember Our Hen House co-founder Jasmin Singer - she was my 3rd interview in the blog's Interview Series!

10. KMIV! Sponsor Cary Smith's beautiful "Little Dog. Big World." print - for sale! - on Moo Something. Love you, Cary!

11.  An old-school reason to smile:

"My situation is a solemn one: life is offered to me on the condition of eating beef steaks. But death is better than cannibalism. My will contains directions for my funeral, which will be followed, not by mourning coaches, but by oxen, sheep, flocks of poultry, and a small traveling aquarium of live fish, all wearing white scarves in honor of the man who perished rather than eat his fellow creatures. It will be, without the exception of Noah's Ark, the most remarkable thing of its kind ever seen.

The average age (longevity) of a meat-eater is 63. I am on the verge of 85 and still at work as hard as ever. I have lived quite long enough and am trying to die, but I simply cannot do it. A single beef steak would finish me, but I cannot bring myself to swallow it. I am oppressed with a dread of living forever. That is the only disadvantage of vegetarianism."

- George Bernard Shaw, 1925 Nobel Prize Recipient


What are your reasons to smile today?

Comments

Angela said…
I just received Ninety-FIve in the mail and have already fallen in love with the book after scanning through the amazing photographs. It's definitely making me smile! :)
Anonymous said…
I'll be at Farm Sanctuary this weekend and CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on one of those vegan super hero shirts!
Papi's Girl said…
I have been asked to speak at a women's conference about Health and Wellness. I can't wait to share my passion for my plant based life.....this makes me smile!
CurlyLocks said…
Reason to Smile:
1- Your blog!
2- Gardein at my local supermarket!
3- Finding more and more organic produce at the local markets!
4- Happy to find restaurants that are so willing to make changes to accommodate vegan/vegetarian diners. Makes eating out so much easier.
George Bernard Shaw makes me proud to be Irish! :)
Reasons to smile for me today: it's my birthday tomorrow, and my first one being veg! I plan to celebrate by eating lots of vegan cake this week ;)
Hope you have a fab week!
Aoife
beastmomma said…
Finding and subscribing to your blog. It is passion filled and informative.
Unknown said…
Great reasons guys and gals! I'm smiling just reading your comments! :)
Anonymous said…
Your blog, that's for sure!

I LOVE the interview series and was wondering if you've thought about contacting Sara Sohn at Sweet and Sara? I read about her today on vegnews and was blown aback by her story and the goodies she now makes!

Sylvia