Ideas for a Compassionate - and FUN - Halloween
don't let this oh-so-intimidating
black cat cross your path...
Happy eve of Halloween everybody!!
Here are ten ways to add compassion to your holiday, and still have it be a ton of fun:
1) Buy some vegan candy, dress up in a silly costume, and hand out candy to trick-or-treaters.
(I opted for vegan lollipops, and I'll be sitting on my Brooklyn stoop tomorrow in some kind of fun, home-made costume!)
* 2) Dress up as your favorite farm animal, wearing a sign that says "Love me, don't eat me".
* (my personal favorite.)
3) Host a Halloween party with yummy vegan treats (click on the link to see a few ideas of what to serve).
4) Volunteer for part of the day at an animal shelter - maybe you can give some much-needed TLC to a black cat! :)
5) Get a jump start on Thanksgiving, and adopt a turkey from the Farm Sanctuary.
6) If you're already planning on attending a party, ask the host if you can bring a dish of your own, which gives you a chance to add a fun, vegan treat into the mix.
7) Dress up as your favorite famous vegetarian!
8) If you're feeling really passionate, take a look at Farm Sanctuary's Jasmin Singer's tips for an animal-friendly Halloween.
9) Host a Halloween horror film watching party - serve homemade popcorn, warm mulled cider, and my vegan pumpkin-spice cupcakes (she had to plug her cupcake recipe!).
10) Stand outside of your house shouting "Factory farming is the REAL horror!!!"
The REAL 10th tip:
10) Make your own new vegan Halloween tradition! It's always fun to do something new to a holiday you love - and who knows - maybe that tradition will stick with you through the years.
Love, tricks, and many treats to you,