Pumpkin Pie with the Brooklyn Kids

So, I just did a crazy long overnight babysitting job with three kids from Brooklyn, who happen to be three of my favorite kids in all of Brooklyn. :)

One of my favorite things about these kids is they loooove to eat! Since they share one of my greatest loves, I felt happily obligated to work on a cooking project with them. Thanksgiving's coming, so of course, a pumpkin pie was the perfect idea.

I found this awesome website called
http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/ and on it this lady has got some awesome vegan holiday recipes. I decided to give it a whirl, and let me tell you- it was pretty amazing. The pie came out darker than a usual pumpkin pie (I think because of the molasses and brown sugar), but it was creamy, spicy, and delicious. My kind of pie.

Best part about it? No tofu! Now I love tofu like nobody's business, but I don't always love tofu in desserts. It also made for a quick and easy prep, which I always love (just blend all the ingredients in a blender- I actually just used a spoon and it was fine). For anyone deciding to try it, the recipe is below. I decided to go with a graham cracker crust and canned pumpkin, and I think it kicked some major pumpkin pie butt.

The kids loved it too. They also love saying- "Lindsay- you're vegan! I like vegan!"


I love those kids.

******************************************************

BRYANNA’S VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE (can be soy-free)
(from website: http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1435893.htm)

I don’t like pumpkin pie made with tofu. This filling has a cleaner taste, in my opinion, and no one ever suspects this one doesn’t contain eggs. One caution— make this the day before serving. It’s needs a day to set really well, I find. This is a spicy filling—use less spices if you like it milder. Omit molasses if you like it lighter, too (use white beet sugar instead of brown if you like it really light).

Serve with a good vanilla non-dairy frozen dessert, such as Purely Decadent Soy Delicious (Purely Vanilla or Praline Pecan).

Try cutting out some of the extra pastry into leaf shapes and decorate the rim of the pie with them.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Have ready, one 9” unbaked pastry crust.

Blend in blender until smooth:

2 c. solid-pack canned pumpkin (one 14-15 oz. can)
(NOTE: if you use home-cooked pumpkin, drain it for several hours hanging in a cloth bag, so it’s thick like canned pumpkin; measure after draining.)
1 c. non-dairy milk (preferably a rich soymilk or nut milk)
3/4 c. brown sugar or Sucanat
3-4 T. cornstarch (depending on how firm you like it)
1 T. molasses or blackstrap molasses
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. EACH ground ginger, nutmeg and salt
1/4 tsp. ground allspice or cloves

Pour the filling into the pastry and bake 60 minutes, covering the edges with foil if they begin to brown too quickly. Cool on a rack, then refrigerate overnight before serving.

Comments